World Netball has today announced significant changes to its Articles of Association, enabling the appointment of two new director positions to the World Netball Board.
The changes demonstrate how World Netball is further strengthening its governance structure, and the progress made towards achieving its Strategic Plan which includes ‘Govern’ as a core strategic pillar.
In a ground-breaking move the Membership of World Netball has voted to add an Athlete Director to its Board. The Membership was overwhelmingly in favour of the move with 96% of respondents voting positively for the change, indicating the positive impact the Voice of the Athlete Working Group has had since its launch in 2021.
The addition of an Athlete Director to the World Netball Board will:
- Address World Netball’s strategic aim to ensure the Voice of the Athlete is at the heart of strategic discussions and decision-making.
- Provide an invaluable perspective representing our athlete stakeholders.
- Give athletes a voice at the highest-level of World Netball demonstrating a commitment to valuing and supporting them and providing opportunities to develop our future leaders.
In addition, the Membership voted to increase the number of Independent Directors on the Board by converting the elected Finance Director role to that of Independent Finance Director. Adding a further Independent Director to the Board following the appointment of our first Independent Director in January 2022 will:
- Bring a broader perspective, impartiality and objectivity whilst maintaining the responsibility as a Director to act in the best interests of World Netball and its
- Provide valuable independent advice and oversight on operations, governance and strategy.
The recruitment process for these new Board roles is now underway and details of each role and how to apply can be found, here.